We look forward to seeing you soon.
1868 – today
On February 23, 1868, following the great turmoil of the Civil War, a group of 20 devoted Christians met with Rev. Alexander Sands in a brush arbor to establish Glen Allen Baptist Church. In the spring of 1867, these followers started a Sunday School on Mrs. Ben Allen’s property near the railroad station. A feast was held on July 4, 1868, and $400 was raised to erect a church building on land given by the Hopkins family, which was a portion of the Walkerton Estate. Members and friends gave their time, labor, and materials. By the end of the year the church was nearly complete with very little debt. The members met in this building until 1893 when a gothic frame sanctuary still known as the “Old Building” was dedicated.
As the church grew in membership other buildings were added in 1941 and 1949. On Sunday, April 24, 1960, the construction of the present sanctuary started. It was dedicated on March 1, 1961. In 1970 memorial windows were added to the sanctuary. Ground was broken, February 12, 1989, for a new educational building program, and the 1941 building was renovated with a new Media Center, Chapel and Music Center.
The end of the 20th century was marked with continued growth of the membership. In 1992 the Glen Allen Baptist Church Pre-Kindergarten was established. On the 125th anniversary celebration of the church, a Henrico historical marker was installed on Mountain Road. During this time, Glen Allen Baptist Church became a leader in missions by being among the top 100 Virginia Baptist churches in giving to missions.
As the new millennium dawned, Glen Allen Baptist Church caught the vision to establish a daughter church in the growing Western Hanover corridor. On March 18, 2001, Western Hanover Mission held its first service of worship with over 175 people attending.
Soon after GABC recognized the need to symbolize our concern for the community, we resolved to build a new addition that featured a Welcome Center, additional classrooms, and church office space. An elevator service to all levels of our facilities was a welcome addition which made access available to several members. While conventional wisdom would say, “Hold off until there are better economic times”, our members decided that it was more important to step out in faith and see God do the great work He has done to achieve the completion of this project. The new facilities were dedicated in the winter of 2010.
Glen Allen Baptist Church, while having a tradition of service to the Glen Allen community since 1868, looks forward to continuing opportunities to guide people into a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. While committed to worship, we are also committed to ministry to all age groups in the community. We strive to offer a welcoming hand with a warm greeting, coupled with a sincere desire to get to know guests who come to see us. Glen Allen Baptist Church has a long and wonderful history and a bright future serving Jesus Christ and advancing His Kingdom here and around the world. All are welcome at Glen Allen Baptist Church!